Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Re: Shaker Ladder Back Chair

Full view of chair
Full view of chair  

I have a Shaker Ladder Back Chair that I purchased at an auction for $1. I have been getting mixed answers about it. Could you please tell me if it is authentic. Each side support is scored below where the back support goes. The nails are square wooden pegs. The seat is made of cane I believe.

Eleanor - I do not believe your chair is a Shaker chair. Most but not all authentic Shaker chairs have tape seats. Your chair has a woven splint seat.

The finials are not like any Shaker finials I have seen.

Authentic Shaker in the form of your chair sell at auction for below $100 so you are in good shape financially either way.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida