Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Robert W. irwing funiture

Bronse plate
Bronse plate  
I have desk that seems to be an antique.The desk has a bronze plate inside the middle drawer and engraved on it,is a name that says "Irwin". I would like asistence  to know and confirm if it is a antique? And how much could it be worth?

The label dates this as 1950.  Information on the company is copied below.

Most accept the definition of antique as 100 years old.  by that definition this is not classified as an antique.  however, just that alone does not give or detract from either intrinsic of associative value, age is only one of the factors.   the desk is mahogany veneers and probably sweet gum for the frame or case work.  Classic design in the federal style and would sell retal in a shop at 450-600 depending on the point of sale.

1900: Robert W. Irwin purchases a controlling interest in Royal Furniture Co. from Alexander Hompe and Ralph Tietsort.

1911: Irwin, Hompe, and Tietsort acquire Phoenix Furniture Co.

1919: Irwin buys Hompe’s and Tietsort’s shares in Royal and Phoenix. Royal and Phoenix are merged to form the Robert W. Irwin Co.

1931: Irwin purchases prestigious manufacturer Cooper – Williams, Inc. of Boston.

1951: Company is purchased by group of invertors from Cincinnati.

1953: Company closes and discontinues production. Rights to the Irwin name sold to Sterling, Inc., of New York City.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971