Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Troemner Scale

Question
Troemner Scale I
Troemner Scale I  

Tromner Scale II
Tromner Scale II  
The brass pans say HTroemner Philadelphia in a circle around an Eagle.  I thought I would try to repair the damage in front.  Do you know what the original finish is?  I thought it might be black paint or maybe just an old dark finish.  Do the supports for the pans screw out? Any information about the scale, age or value would be appreciated.
Thanks! Carol

Answer
Hi Carol,

Troemner manufactured many different box scales similar to yours.  These scales were manufactured for many years in many different styles but yours seems to be an earlier East Lake design that is shown in our early 1900s catalogs. Your scale appears to have a "Tennessee Marble " top. Tennessee Marble is a pink color.  The wood appears to have been "Ebonized" or painted black.  The spiders which hold the pans should lift straight up to remove them but they tend to get stuck so you may need to gently twist them to loosen the dirt which tends to cause them to stick. Retail value might be $125-$300.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning