Collectibles-General (Antiques)/trunk

trunk maker
trunk maker  
QUESTION: I am attaching 2 photos of a trunk from I think the 1930's.  One photo is of the trunk, and the other is of the maker's sticker inside the lid.

Do you know what the value would be on the trunk?

Thank you, Maggie

1900 Goldsmith Trunk
1900 Goldsmith Trunk  
ANSWER: Maggie,

Your canvas covered trunk could very well be older than you think. Many of these were made from about 1900 to the early 1920's, nearly identical by many trunk companies across the U.S. I'm attaching a picture from a 1900 catalog from Goldsmith & Son trunk company of Newark, which is very much like yours. You can see what they say about theirs, and these were made in several sizes. Most of the canvas covered trunks were replaced by metal or pressed fiber covered trunks by the late 1920's and 1930's.  It doesn't really affect the value much by having the maker's label, but it is nice to have and makes it more interesting. But many companies made nearly identical trunks at that time and many of them are never heard of today. People like these flat canvas covered trunks because the old canvas can be removed and the wood refinished, which usually looks very nice.  In this condition these trunks are now usually selling in the range of about $75 to $150 and maybe a little more in some places or in antique shops. It helps if it has the original interior tray.  It looks like its in pretty good restorable condition.  

QUESTION: We have the inside trays.  The top one opens like the one in the photo you sent.  The other two are open trays.
Thank you for your assistance!
BTW - the trunk apparently belonged to my husband's grandfather - he took it with him when he worked the oil fields in the 1930's.

That's great, and the bottom trays were usually called skirt or shirt trays. That helps the value some to have them all. I sold a nice original one similar to that with all the trays last fall for $395, but the canvas was all in very good condition.  It's nice that you have a trunk that was in the family so long.   Please leave feedback if you can.
Thanks, Marvin

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.