Collectibles-General (Antiques)/1965 ballys slot question

bally slot
bally slot  
QUESTION: Hey're name looks familiar to me....maybe we've spoken before.

Anyway, I have this machine. I assume it's a ballys mid 60's.  There are no markings that I can find.  I love it and just picked it up from a friend with no background other than it wasn't working.  

I put most of it together with my limited knowledge and everything works on it, except the hopper never stops spitting out coins.  if you unplug it, it works until you hit a pyout, then you have to plug the hopper in and let it spin, unplug it and start again.  Any ideas or what model or make it is to try to find a manual.  thank you in advance.

ANSWER: Hi Matt,

This slot machine, I don't think is a Bally at all. It look like a Pace-Ace-Space slot machine to me, from the photo. All I can really tell you is that it sounds to me that it is not counting coins. It sounds to me that if you can clear it, and get it to play, it now works fine until you hit a winner. Now the coin hopper is off and running trying to pay off this winner. Coins go under a roller at the top of the hopper before exiting to the coin tray, this roller on most machines lifts and shoves a switch down or something and counts the coins as the pass under it for payout. I would say that you need to look into how it is counting these coins as; if it is a 5 coin win, after it counts 5 coins, this counting method should break the power connection to the coin hoppers motor and stops the payout. Little is know about these machine as they are uncommon, but I have seen a few of them. I think there is a manual on a pace-ace-space machine at:

This manual copy is in poor condition and not a very good manual, and is on a machine that is different then yours, but again the only paper that I have ever seen on these Pace-Ace-Space machines.

Thank You
Rodger Knutson

QUESTION: First, thank you for your help and quick response.

So the $100,000...if it's rare is it valuable?  Do the pace-ace-space slot machines that you refer to have any markings or tags on the inside of the cabinet I should look for to verify?

The reel mech has a stamp in the metal at the bottom that reads : jun 65 space mfg co 000165...So i guess it's safe to say its a pace-ace-space machine?

Thanks again.

Hi Matt,

100,000.00 ?????????? WOW, I wish! but sorry no. They are just not all that common, they are out there but not in the truck loads. Working value might be around 600.00 to 800.00 on average. So you have the later space machine. First it was Pace, then they were bought by a company called Ace, and after that Space bought them. So, yours is a Pace-Ace-Space and sounds like it was made around June of 1965.
Thank You
Rodger Knutson

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson

I am an expert on old coin operated machines, slot machines, trade stimulator's, jukeboxes, old arcade machines, etc. I have been identifying these for people who respond to my web site listed below, for a few years now. In almost all cases I am able to tell them about their old coin operated machines, the year, the value, and other general information about their machines. I do not know much about soda vending machines, coin banks, or scales, but I will try to help you with these if I can. Please email photo's to: My web site is at:

I bought my first slot machine, a .50 Cent Mills Black Cherry in 1969 and have been hooked from that time, I still have that Slot machine! Before that I found a open barrel full of old scraped jukebox wall boxes behind a restaurant, I wanted them all but never took a one of them. Anything that took a coin drove me nuts!

C.O.C.A. and other slot and coin operated machine groups, associations, groups, and clubs.

Many, the Coinslot magazine, always juken, Coin Slot Journal, Slot Box Collector, and others that I don’t remember at this time.

Graduated from Ballard High School in 1969, went to Edison Technical Collage for a couple of years taking welding and metal fabrication, tig, mig, heliarc, also arc and gas welding and fabrication. Then Apprenticed under a slot machine technician who worked in the slot machine industry Reno Nevada, and set up bar poker progressive machines in the casino's, and repaired machine and did the repairs on slot machine circuit boards there. He also was involved in the 2 hand dealer's market and bought and sold machines at the casinos auctions for the secondary market, which includes selling used machine overseas. I learned a ton from this man; he always had the correct answers and took the time to teach me the business. My interest and knowledge in other and older coin operated machine is for the most part, self-taught. It's been my passion from back in 1968 and before, my thirst for knowledge about these machines has kept me more interested over the years, and keeps me searching for more information even today. I have meet and talked to book authors on these machines, attended hundreds of coin operated shows and auctions, and I stay with that to this very day.

Take a look at my allexperts rating, and my guest book, links to these are at Also you can check my 100 percent rating on ebay, as I have been there with ebay from their day one, I am user coinslots at ebay. My other awards come from the very people that I deal with, I always make them happy, no matter what it takes, but they always are happy anyway as the countless thank you letters testify to me, so I know I am doing right, and the best I can. I have found so many hard to find parts for people, I hunt them down and don't stop until I find what is needed to get that customers machine running again and back to life, that is my main goal.

Client privacy prevents this answer, as some are VIP and famous and I will not betray the trust.