Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Recliner Chair

Question
Full View
Full View  

handle
handle  
Hi I was wondering if you could please help me identify a chair I bought at my grandparents auction. I really do not know much about the chair. I can tell you that my grandfather told me it belonged to his grandfather. The chair has leather seat and back, the wheels on the bottom of the chair are wood, it has what looks to me like brass handles on the back whichas a bar that goes through them to help the chair recline (I believe). I will try to inclued lots of pictures. The chair was in Marshfield, Wisconsin where my family lives. At the time I got the chair I did not ask my grandfather to many questions about it. I have had the chair in storage for about 10 years and I am looking into finding someone to help me repair it to put in my home.

I am not looking for a vaule but would like to try to find out what era it came from and if you know anyone in the area of Evansville, IN who does reoair on chairs like this.

Answer
This is called a Morris chair and you are correct that there was a brass bar to support the back in the different positions.  The wood is oak.  the back should be hinged to teh seat at the bottom.

This is a great chair, in the condition shown i would have paid 250 at auction to get it knowing that once it was redone it would be valued at 1500.  I dont think you realize how good this is.

I know this is about two hours away but I know Tim Pero personally, have been to several workshops with him, worked on a Smithsonian exhibit installation with him in Lexington and can attest to his skills and knowledge.  
http://www.blog-affiliations.org/?p=6284

It will be worth it to talk to him and tell him i told you to call and that I told you he is the one to intrust this family heirloom to.
contact:
http://www.monroefurniturerestoration.com/  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein