Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Smoking Pipe Cabinet

Question
Cabinet
Cabinet  

Ashtray
Ashtray  
I bought a cabinet that holds 8 pipes in the bottom doors. The top swivel door opens and holds 2 ashtrays and the knobs on the top are lions heads. The only name or marking I could find was "A B Jork." Do you know the name of this cabinet, the year it was made, and the value and authenticity? Please write back. I will send picture to your email.

Answer
Taylor - Your cabinet is called a smoking stand or "smoker." Smoking stands were first popular around the turn of the century and then the popularity faded until the Depression. During the Depression of the 1930s many companies turned to the manufacture of small items to have something affordable to sell that people could afford to buy rather than entire sets of furniture. These items were called "novelties" and included things like magazine racks, hanging shelves, magazine and lamp tables and smoking stands. You can see a number of novelty items in the book "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books. http://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Depression-Era-Accessories-1920S/dp/0891453326/r

Yours appears to be from the mid 1930s. The wood on the front is mottled avodire veneer, an African wood. The top looks like walnut veneer. I could find no reference to A.B. Jork in my library. The lions head pulls are replacements and are not original to the piece.

Your smoker would sell at auction in the $50-$100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor