Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Arrow Back Chair

QUESTION: Found this chair last week; looked like something we had in our home when I was a kid. I think it has a lot of character. Wonder when it was made and the value. Any info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Also, have another one I found but will send it in another inquiry. Don't expect an immediate response on either, appreciate your consideration of both.

ANSWER: this is a 1920s hepplewhite style chair made of figured birch wood.

dont know what caning costs where you are but here it is 3$ per hole in the sear perimeter.

single chairs dont bring much but this, as a desk chair would bring 75-125

QUESTION: Just wanted to comment on the caning. It's in perfect condition, very strong. See photos. The chair frame is a little wobbly though. Think I'll just keep it. Love the wood grain and the elegantly designed arrows in the back. Thanks very much.

the seat should come out if you decide to reglue the chair.  the screws under the seat rail hold it in and there might be two screws holding the back of the seat hiding under wooden plugs viewable from the rear.

probably cost the previous owner 150-225 to have the seat woven.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971