Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Baby Scale

I have a Fairbanks-Morse baby scale that I would like to sell. My searches have not turned up any information on the Fairbanks-Morse scale. Information is available on the Fairbanks scale. I have read one of your answers on the Fairbanks scale which provided considerable information. Can you explain the difference between the Fairbanks and the Fairbanks-Morse scale. Can you give me an idea as to its value. I am including a photo.
Thanks for your time.

Hi Bill,

Fairbanks was the original Scale Company name and Morse was a distributor who was allowed to use the Fairbanks-Morse name in his business. Their history reads in part: "In 1916, Charles Hosmer Morse, a Fairbanks employee, acquired control of the company. Then in 1927, the Fairbanks office in New York became part of the Fairbanks-Morse company, giving Fairbanks-Morse complete control over the manufacturing and distribution of Fairbanks Scales. During this time the Fairbanks-Morse company produced not only scales but diesel engines, electric engines and pumps for industrial use. In 1958, Fairbanks-Morse merged with Penn-Texas and was renamed Fairbanks-Whitney."   More history of the company may be found here:

Retail value might be $50-$150.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia