Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Berkey & Gay Chifforobe

Berkey & Gay Chifforobe
Berkey & Gay Chifforob  

Berkey & Gay Chifforobe 2
Berkey & Gay Chifforob  
We have a Berkey & Gay Chest that was donated to us.  It may be described as a chifforobe or possibly a wooden steamer trunk.  It has a Berkey & Gay Furniture branded in one of the drawers. The exterior may be walnut and the interior mahogany.  Does this furniture piece have a name? What would it's approximate value be and what would be a reasonable way for a church to sell it.

I would first offer it to the members of the congregation at a price of $650.  That is a fair price once it is waxed with toluene free Briwax in the antique mahogany color.

the doors appear to be ribbon stripe mahogany but the picture is too distant to see the finer grain of the wood.

This is called a wardrobe and it is a nice one manufactured by a quality company.

It is very likely that someone in the congregation will offer more, perhaps you could offer selling it first by sealed bids with a reserve of whatever number you decide.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971