Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Busted Caning

Furniture label
Furniture label  

I inherited six chairs from my mother and father.  They were never favorites, but over time I have grown to like and appreciate them.  Dad collected oriental furniture and these most likely came from Mom's side.

Anyway, the caning has pretty much failed on all of the backs.  I would like to restore them or come up with an alternative.

My problem is that I live in Honolulu and there is little expertise here that I know of except in wicker furniture.  Shipping is obviously a problem, but I am willing to consider it as part of the labor of appreciation of the good workmanship these chairs exhibit.

I would your opinion on the matter; whether it is worth the effort and wher I might find a reasonable craftsman to do the work.  I am enclosing images for your use.  These are Whiddington made, from Grand Rapids Michigan.

Thank you very much

These are nice chairs, probably from the 60s or 70s, very well made. I don't know of anyone in you state that would do them. You might check with a few furniture people and see if they know anyone.
 Other then that, the only thing would be to send the chairs out as you said, and get them restored, then shipped back. You might look on utube and see if there is anything on doing it yourself.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Anderson's Restorations-Rob Anderson

We can answer questions about wicker repair and restoration, chair seating[caning-rush-splint-danish cord] , brass and copper polishing, veneering and veneer repair. WE WILL NOT GIVE APPRAISALS or answer "WHATS IT WORTH" questions. If you want a value, contact us for our current costs for this service.

Just entered our 40th year doing this work. We started in Fl and have been in NC for the last 15 years. We have a web site where we have alot of information about us and a blog at where we have many before and after photos of our work.We also are experienced in Fiat Jolly Seats and other automobile seating and work on Horse Drawn Carriage pieces.

Past president of a historical museum

Antique Shoppe Newspaper, Yadkin Valley Living Magazine, Antique Lynks Newspaper

Seminole HS in Seminole FL class of 1965 and some college before entering service. US Army

Asked to demonstrate seat weaving at the NC Musuem of History, Paleigh, for 3 days. Demonstrated at the Mountain Heritage Festival, Sparta,NC.

Restoring 35 pieces of wicker for the Governors Mansion, Raleigh,NC paid through private funding.