Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cavalier Vanity

I have a vanity that I think is mahogany with cedar drawers and a square mirror.
I think the square mirror is very different and ats a certain unusual look to the vanity as most seem to have oval mirrors. I thank you for the information on the Cavalier Co. and would like to know if there is anything else you might be able to tell me about this piece regarding it's value, age, etc. The number of the vanity is # 3711 and the number on the mirror is # 5851
Thank you

Michael - Your vanity appears to be from the late 1940s/early 1950s but the mirror will have the actual date. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

Cavalier was most known for its cedar chests. Here is some info about that.

Here's more on other furniture by Cavalier.

I also found this on a Google search

The company was founded in 1865 in Chattanooga, Tennessee. There were many local hardwoods (like red cedar) available as well as plenty of skilled labor. The original name was The Tennessee Furniture Company, but was soon changed to Cavalier. During the Depression, they turned to making Coca-Cola vending machines to stay afloat. In the 1960s, they were taken over by the Seeburg Corporation, a manufacturer of jukeboxes. Seeburg, in turn was the subject of a number of takeovers, court actions, lootings, and bankruptcies. In the 1990s, Cavalier was spun off as an independent employee-owned company. They went completely out of business in 2001.

Your vanity would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida