Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cleaning 18th century kast

Question
18th century kast
18th century kast  

hinges
hinges  
Bob
I recently acquired an 18th century kast that has been completely disassembled for storage purposes and kept in a barn for many years. The piece is very dirty. I am planning in cleaning it myself. The question is: since we (the seller and of course me) don't know what type of wood this piece is made of, what would be a proper cleaning method? Seller mentions oak as a possibility but does not seem very likely. Could chestnut be an option? Piece is coming from Pennsylvania. Antique store near my home suggested to use a hose and a bristle brush but I am worried that would hurt the wood. I plan to have it professionally restored but I would greatly enjoy the cleaning part. Hinges are original and present. Thank you in advance.

Answer
The "kas" can be cleaned up using furniture paste wax after washing gently with a soft brush like a shoe brush then dried well.

i cannot attest to the age and you should not rely on the sellers statement.  to determine age, tool marks and construction methods must be determined and compared to knowns.

if you will send pictures of the wood, close up and in focus, where i can see the grain i might determine the wood species.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein