Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Coolerator value

Question
Hi my parents have a coolerator that has horse hair as insulation it looks like it came from the '40's.  The only thing we did to it was paint it black otherwise it's all original.   It still runs great and we still use it.  Is it worth anything?  Just curious.  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Kelly,
The Coolerator was one of America's most ingenious designs, both fuctionally and  aesthetically. They were most popular in Texas, but found use all over our Nation. Money-wise, unless you sought and hunted out the perfect buyer, there isn't much value to them.The horsehair was probably added later, I couldn't find ads or write-ups boasting the horsehair. Most had mesh screen to keep out the buggers. You have a great piece of Americana there, I hope you enjoy it for many years!

Have a great day-

Brandi
Artifacts of America- The Antique Experts
New Philadelphia, Ohio

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Artifacts of America- Brandi Barkheimer