Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Drop Leaf Side Table

Question
Drop Leaf  Side Table
Drop Leaf Side Table  

Drop Leaf  Side Table
Drop Leaf Side Table  
Robert, I have been asked to refinish a small drop leaf side table. When I started to disassemble it I realized that this is a true antique because it was made from solid wood and it had square head nails and dovetail joints on the back of the drawers and a chamfered drawer bottom and all the mortise cuts were hand chiseled. These indicators I learned from you. Thank you.

Can you tell me the approximate age of the piece and its current market value? Does this look like walnut to you? I do not understand the slits in the back of the drawer fronts (second photo). Also I am curious to understand how the nails could be hand made being square (perhaps hand made is an incorrect assumption) while the screws were surely machine made.

Thank you.

Gary

Answer
the cuts on the inside are from a novice cutting the dovetails or doing it in a hurry.

it is walnut.

nails are hand cut not hand hammered.  go to tremont nail co and take a look at the catalog.

1850s

a good piece.  would cost about 400-600 at auction as shown.  shellac would be nice on this, satin sheen rubbed.  but satin lacquer works, no poly!

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein