Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Gunn Furniture/Lawyers bookcase

I recently found a Gunn lawyers bookcase made from the Gunn Furniture Company in grand Rapids MI. The label is slightly torn and somewhat unreadable but this is what I can make out. wood/Birch; size 11; finish 4. Can't read the style. It is 2 shelves and they fold up and slide under. My main question isn't to value but if it was truly made with Birch. Everything I have read about the company makes no reference to this type of wood. If it was made after the mid 50's when the company was sold I don't think it would have the Gunn label on it.
Thank you for your time and advise.

i will need a picture of the piece, the label, and a close up of the wood grain to be sure.

many times when a piece of furniture is labeled saying wood and a species then that is what it is.  if a label only said 'birch', 'mahogany', or 'walnut',  then normally it is indicating color.

However, Gunn advertised that they made sectional bookcases in walnut, mahogany, imitation mahogany, and quartered oak.  the imitation mahogany was called that because birch and sometimes sweet gum was used then it was stained to a mahogany color.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971