Collectibles-General (Antiques)/old chair

Question
old chair
old chair  

old chair
old chair  
Hello,
I was given this chair over 13 years ago by my sister .
I know nothing about this chair and any information would be wonderful..

Thank you

Answer
Donna - Your chair is from around the turn of the 20th century. That type chair is called a “face chair.” Figures in the back of a chair were very popular in the late 19th and early 20th century. There were many German woodworkers in America at the time and some of the figures came from Black Forest mythology. Others came from Greek and Roman mythology. Some of the gargoyles and grotesques were from Gothic legends of the Middle Ages.

The chair is said to be a “press back” chair. The design in the back was not carved. It was made by the impression of a sharp steel die under great pressure that was rolled across the surface of the wood. The design was literally pressed into the wood.

The overall form of the chair is based on the 16th century Savonarola chair.
http://antiques.about.com/od/furniture/a/SavonarolaChair031610.htm

It is an adaptation of the Roman curule chair.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curule_seat  

Yours is made of oak. Similar chairs are shown in the 1902 Sears catalog and are called "Roman" chairs.

Your chair would sell at auction in the $100-$150 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor