Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Parlor 3 piece Set

Question
Palor Set
Palor Set  
Can you please tell me about my parlor set. It was purchased in an antique store in 1975. I have no idea the style or value

Answer
These were made in the empire style but not the empire period.  the empire period was around 1810/20-1850.  some say second emipire period and third empire to give more pazazz to the verbiage and also some say empire revival--which i like better.

Your set was made around 1890-1910.

the wood is birch and figured birch which was stained from the factory with a water based dye so that it resembled mahogany.  there also might some tulip poplar wood and perhaps some sweet gum.  i cannot be certain from the pictures--too distant--but that is the standard way in which these were made.

this one is a nice one which would sell in a store at 900-1000.  insurance replacement value is not the same as fair market value so that would be higher by 3x.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein