Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Platform Rocker

Question
Antique
Antique  

I own what I believe to be a platform rocker from the civil war era.  It has been handed down through the family.  I did find a patent on the spring mechanism PAT JRN.5 97

Can you tell me a little more about this chair and if it is a platform rocker and from what era or year.  Also a rough estimate on what you feel it could be worth.

Kent Kolstad

Answer
Kent - That is indeed a platform rocker but you are off on the date by about 35 years. This type coil spring rocker was patented in 1897 by a man named Schram. A. H. Schram of Wisconsin opened his furniture business in Sheboygan in the fall of 1888 and sold out in 1906. He then moved to Merrill, opening the A. H. Schram & Sons furniture business in 1908. Schram rockers in good condition sell in the $100 range at auction.

The Schram spring arrangement was considered an experimental type rocker and did not last but a few years in the market.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor