Collectibles-General (Antiques)/scales

Question
QUESTION: howdy  I have a American scales mfg co   yellow porcelain top and bottom   penny weight and nickel weight and horoscope   removed top rear panel with key   lower panel cannot be removed because its top left and right corners seems to be soldered   therefore cannot access lower part of machine   its nicely done and appears to be matching green factory paint as is the rest of the cabinet   makes no sense to me   your input would help me move forword   short story long   happy trails

ANSWER: Hi James,

It is very difficult to guess which model you have as American scale made a lot of different models. I have answered a lot of questions of these in the past so if you go to the find box above at the top of this page and type in American Scale I bet you will see several of them with photo's and values.
Thank You
Rodger Knutson
http://www.coinslots.com

QUESTION: thanks mucho for your nice and speedy response  the photos I have seen my scale seems to be a combination 530 except they have a red top and black base mine is yellow top and bottom but my main issue is why the top corners of the rear lower panel appear to be spot welded and so cannot be removed without modification. is this factory or a later mod? it seems to me access to lower part of cabinet would be a nasesaty.thank you for further input...happy trails

Answer
Hi James,
I am not sure on this, I have a scale here also but its not an American brand so I have nothing in here to look at to see how it was made. The scale we have opens from the front, and that exposes all the workings. Do you see a lock hole in the back where it could of had one or a side that is hinged? if not, then maybe they did have welded backs. I wish I had a model 530 here so I could look at it and compare it with yours. There is a scale expert here, Bill and Jan Bering and they may know or be able to help you with this. I will keep looking for a Model 530Americal scale so I can have a look at it and if I do, I'll get back to you.

Thank You
Rodger Knutson
Http://www.coinslots.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson