Collectibles-General (Antiques)/train cases

train case?
train case?  
Hi I have been tryin to find info on those 2 pieces i have had for over ten years... And can you believe i have never seen this site before... Like i said i have 2 of these one has like a littke portable closet a few hangers that r connected .. And the other one has a mirror on the inside .. They both had 3 letters on it from moving a few have fell off .. Whats left an M L is on the smaller one.. Please help my mystery of over 10 yrs ..Thanks Jen

The case I see in the picture is a small traveling case or possibly ladies cosmetics case from the 1950's based on the look. It could be called a train case but air travel was becoming much more popular and so it was probably not really called a train case but a travel case. The letters were most likely the owners initials because companies didn't put their own name on the cases like that. Quite a few companies were making this type case and many don't have the maker's name on them.  I'm not quite sure what you meant about one having a portable closet with hangers since I don't see a picture of that.  I assume it was quite a bit larger if it has hangers, so maybe it's a wardrobe trunk. Luggage companies made sets of luggage in many sizes including these small cases that matched. The items from the 1950's are becoming much more collectible now.   I hope that information helps.

Marvin Miller

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.