Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Union Furniture Company, Rockford, IL Secretaries Desk

Question
UnionFurnitureDesk
UnionFurnitureDesk  

UnionFurnitureDesk
UnionFurnitureDesk  
Robert, Thank you for reviewing my questions regarding a piece of furniture which belonged to my great uncle. Paper on back of secretary desk reads 'Union Furniture Company, Rockford, IL' very clearly. Other writing is faded.
Based upon photos attached, what is the name of this piece, what date might it have been built, what value might it have if we choose to find a buyer? Thank you! - Chandra

Answer
This is a secretary with bookcase top.

The front lower shape is called serpentine.

It is often miscalled a governor Winthrop desk although he never had one.

The wood on the serpentine drawers is ribbon striped mahogany.  the fall front covering the pigeon hole interior will be the same.  the sides and upper doors are usually sweet gum stained with a water based dye to resemble mahogany.  occasionally they are mahogany as well.

It was made between the late 1920s to the early 1940s.

I can but these around 400-600 at auction depending on the grade and condition.  these sell retail at 350 for the lower grades to 1400 for the top grades.  Yours will sell retail in a shop at 650-750 cleaned up.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein