Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Value of my fair condition neverbreak trunk

Question
I have a Neverbreak Trunk in fair condition. Still has the registry plate in tact. I was trying to find out the value of the trunk?

Answer
Goldsmith Trunk Ad
Goldsmith Trunk Ad  
Joshua,

Nearly all antique or vintage trunks have some value now, even if it's just for parts.  But the value of a trunk really is based on several factors now such as the style, size, condition, rarity, and usually to a lesser degree the maker and even the location.  All trunk companies such as Goldsmith & Sons in NJ that made the Neverbreak trunks had a wide range of styles and sizes, in regular flat top dress trunks to very large wardrobe trunks with the drawers and hangers. While it helps a little that the trunk has the name plate, that really isn't the main thing people are looking for in that type trunk. Buyers will normally be looking for a particular style and size, which they can use for a specific funtion such as a coffee table, blanket storage, or other use.  There is a very wide range of values on old trunks and some are quite rare and very collectible. Most of the Neverbreak trunks are from the 1930's to early 1950's and for the majority of them the values are not quite as high as many other trunks, partly because many of them are covered with a hard pressed fiber material called vulcanized fibre.  The wood trunks covered with canvas or leather are typically more desirable especially when the deteriorated covering can be removed and the wood refinished. So without knowing more about the condition or completeness and style of your trunk I would have to estimate that a typical unrestored Neverbreak trunk would have a value in the range of about $100 to $300.   I hope that helps.

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller