Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Vintage steamer trunk

Steamer Trunk
Steamer Trunk  
My wife inherited some property recently from her father, and this trunk was with the rest of the property.  I didn't take measurements, but the tag on the inside of the lid said "Straub Trunk Co". I cannot find any references on the Web for that manufacturer, so thought I would ask the expert.

Can you give me some idea of the value of it, or should I get the dimensions of it first before you can tell me anything about it?

1911 Trunk Catalog
1911 Trunk Catalog  

The only Straub Trunk company that I have ever found information on was the Straub Trunk Company of Pueblo, Colorado. I had found Colorado records showing that the company was started in 1908 by Joseph Straub and their address was on Union Ave in Pueblo. In 1921 there was a large flood and fire in Pueblo which destroyed many businesses and killed many people. The Straub Trunk company had fire and flood damage, but was later reopened at 620 Main St. according to a 1923 Pueblo business directory.  This trunk is a style made by many trunk companies, and based on the hardware styles, it was most likely made between about 1910 to the early 1920's.  The same style hardware and locks were used by many trunk companies for quite a time period.  This type trunk was usually called a Dress Trunk, or a Gent's or Ladies trunk. I am attaching a 1911 trunk company catalog page showing a very similar trunk and you can read what they had to say about these trunks. These nearly always had a lift out tray or multiple trays and compartments. This was only one of many styles made by trunk makers during those years. Since it's a fairly common style trunk that was very popular in it's time, these are not rare or highly valuable, but they do have value as an antique based on their condition, completeness, size, etc. In good unrestored condition these generally sell in the range of about $100 to $250 in most areas. Most people like to remove the canvas covering and refinish the wood and use them as a nice storage trunk, side table, or in other ways in the home. Having the label and some history adds to the interest and a little to the value for some people.  It is very difficult to find detailed history information on many of the early trunk companies, but there were hundreds of trunk makers in the country in the early 1900's.   
Marvin Miller,

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.