Collectibles-General (Antiques)/wicker sofa and chair

I have a wicker sofa and chair marked Heywood-Wakefield. I have had the set for about 18 years and they are quite worn. I am interested in having them repaired and the seat cushions replaced. (The chair has no cushion - it has been long gone.) The style is simple with curved arms. The original color was green and had been spray painted white prior to my ownership. I am thinking about contacting a local upholsterer to redo the pieces as the leg wrapping is coming undone.  Do you have any recommendations as to what information I should provide to the upholsterer or should I look for someone whom specializes in wicker? Also, would you have any recommendations as to companies for the cushions. I have been checking and have not found anyone who seems to produce ones that are large enough.  
Thank you for any information.   
/Users/ludwigpat/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2013/06/11/20130611-105621/DSCF1046.JPG

So sorry to hear about your wicker set in need of some TLC, but you are on the right track to take this up with an upholster. The good ones will be able to make new cushions for your wicker set to fit on the pieces just fine, you don't need to try and contact a specialty manufacturer.

Without seeing a picture of your set though, (your picture did not come through), I cannot give you any advice as to what material was used in construction or how you can date the piece. What does the manufacture's label look like, that would help. Just being marked, "Heywood-Wakefield" doesn't help a great deal. Need to know the color and size and material that the label was made from. Pictures here too would be of great benefit.

Have you gone to my site and read all the articles and pages about wicker furniture? There are several telling about the construction materials, approximate dates of manufacture, and I have a National Furniture Repair Directory where you can locate repair experts to help you in the fields of chair caning, wicker repair, upholstery and furniture refinishing.  

Hope this helps!  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker WomanŽ-Cathryn Peters

I will answer any questions having to do with antique wicker furniture, wicker furniture repair and restoration, chair caning and all other types of chair seat weaving techniques and patterns. I DO NOT GIVE APPRAISALS or free WHAT IT'S WORTH valuations, nor do I buy/sell wicker furniture at this time.

Since 1975 I've been repairing and restoring all types of wicker furniture from the 1880s-1940s, with a special interest in the Victorian era. I'm proficient in the repair and restoration of all types of chair seat weaving; hand-twisted cattail and bulrush, paper fiber rush, chair caning of all types, Shaker tape, Danish cord and seagrass. I also teach chair seat weaving at folk schools, basketry conventions and private individuals or groups. I also offer consultations, and will demonstrate and lecture on the craft topics of chair seating, wicker repair and basketry. I am also web master of, online since 1999 and founder and moderator of the Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum since 2004.

Founding member and first President of The SeatWeavers' Guild, Inc. (TSWG 2007-2011), Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum founder and moderator (2004-present), charter member of the National Basketry Organization, numerous regional and state basket guilds, and member of the Basketmakers' and Chair Seaters' Association (BA) located in the United Kingdom.

Woman's Day Budget Decorating Ideas 2006, Country Living August 2004, Finishing & Restoration Magazine, October 2002, Barbara Brabec's Handmade For Profit, Homemade Money-Starting Smart! and Homemade Money-Bringing in the Bucks!, Collector's Journal, Basketry Round-Up #2 by Shereen LaPlantz, Splint Woven Basketry by Robin Taylor Daugherty, 101 Best Home-Based Businesses for Women by Priscilla Y. Huff, Ralph & Terry Kovel's Yellow Pages of Restoration Experts, Small Town Minnesota from A-Z by Tony Andersen and monthly Wicker Furniture columnist for Minnesota's The Old Times newspaper in 1993 & 1994.

High school graduate, self-taught, and "school of hard knocks" for all the rest!

I've been involved in several unique wicker restoration projects such as weaving two wicker chairs for the Johnson Wax Replica Sikorsky S-38 Amphibian Airplane in 1998, then two more in 2000 for Buzz Kaplan, owner of Born Again Restorations, the company that created the replica Sikorsky, and did the restoration of all the wicker furniture in the Itasca State Park, Bemidji, MN during their Centennial celebration in 1995. I've also served as Chair Seatweaving Mentor to an apprentice through the Minnesota State Arts Board Folk Art Grant program in 2000, been the recipient of a McKnight/Arrowhead Regional Arts Council (ARAC) Career Opportunity Grant in 2004, and the recipient of a McKnight/ARAC Emerging Artist Fellowship in 2005.