Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique desk

Question
desk
desk  
Could you tell me anything about this piece.There are no markings Thank you

Answer
Florence - Your desk is from the late 1940s. It is made of ribbon striped mahogany veneer and has a serpentine front. It has Chippendale pierced batwing drawer pulls and Chippendale style ball and claw feet. These desks typically have an interior that features a small door (prospect door) and two columns that pull out to disclose drawers (document drawers) as well as pigeon holes for letters or other items. That is called a "fitted" interior.

The drop supports, called lopers, automatically extend when the lid is opened. No way to tell who made it without a maker's mark.

In good condition desks like this sell at auction in the $200-$300 range.

Thaks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor