Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique oak rocker

Antique oak rocker
Antique oak rocker  

Antique oak rocker
Antique oak rocker  
This old oak rocker was in the home of our friends for years. I've never seen one like it. I know that part of it at least is quartersawn oak.  Can you please tell me how old it is and any history you might know about it.  Also what would it's value be.

Thank you so much.  It's hard to find out if you have something really valuable or just loved.

in a retail shop, if it is tight with no old poor repairs this would sell at 350-450.

it is oak and quartersawn oak as you suspect and correctly named.

it was made in the golden oak period around 1890.

without a label there is no way to determine which of 5000 factories made this chair.

it is unusual in design.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971