Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique trunk

Question
i have a trunk that says forby trunk factory omaha on it. could you tell me the a little about this trunk factory or when they were in business.?

Answer
Mariette,

First let me say that there were many trunk companies across the U.S. and most cities had more than one, so there were many more than most people realize and there is very little historical information available on most of them.  The information I have on Forby is somewhat incomplete also, but Charles Henry Forby and Lee Forby were listed as operating the Forby Trunk Company in Omaha in 1890. The Forby Trunk Company is also listed in a Nebraska Dept. of Labor business report of 1912, so apparently they were in business for quite a few years as most trunk companies. There were three trunk companies listed for Omaha in 1912. Since most trunk companies made a variety of trunk styles and sizes, I would need to see pictures of the trunk in order to help estimate the age based on the hardware and trunk style. You might find more information about the company and when they were in business by contacting the historical society of Omaha.  I hope that helps.  
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller