Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Birds Eye Maple Dresser

Question
Dresser
Dresser  

Mirror unattached
Mirror unattached  
I bought this dresser in a consignment store a decade ago.  It came with information stating that it is birds eye maple and was made by the Northern Furniture Company.  I've only found bits and pieces on the company through the years.  I've tried to keep it in excellent condition.  Everything seems original right down to the castor wheels, nails, and screws that attach the mirror.  The stamp on the back of the mirror is faded, but seems to date it to 1913.  From what I've read birds eye maple is rare and more valuable since it was hard to work with at the time.  But I would like to know for sure.  Can you tell me any more information about the company that made this, birds eye maple rarity (or otherwise), and a realistic approximate value? Are there any signs I can look for as to it being refurbished or original? I will send more detailed photos to your email.
Thank you so much for your time!

Kat B.
Stafford, VA

Answer
information on Northern Furniture company can bee gleaned online by googling <northern furniture company sheboygan>  really too much info to relate in this forum.

birds eye is not readily available but has been used in furniture a lot.  most people either love it or not.  some of the early 1800s chests used birdseye as accents, where the top two small drawers or all the draw fronts would be birds eye or tiger or curly maple.

during the time this was made many companies put birds eye maple  bedroom furniture in catalogs.  that lasted from around 1900-1920 then faded.

it does not look to have been refinished to me in the pictures.

retail in a shop, if it is sturdy and tight and all drawers work properly it would be prices, depending on the type of shop or store, at 650-750,  store price.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein