Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bookcase

QUESTION: There is a bookcase for case that interests me?  Can you tell by looking at the photo if it is Mahoney wood & what timeframe it was made?

ANSWER: to determine wood species you have to provide a picture of the grain of the wood.  close and in focus.  you cannot determine wood species by color alone.

Most likely it is sweet gum and/or tulip poplar.  1940s.

Top Section bookcase
Top Section bookcase  

bottom Section of bookcase
bottom Section of book  
QUESTION: I purchased the bookcase and have a couple other photos for you to review.  The owner told me that she got it from a relative from down South.  There is no marking on it to tell us where it was made.  Can you tell type of wood and also know something else about the piece?  What advice can you provide about restoration?  I noticed that there are little ribbots on the top and bottom section but some of the little ribbots are missing on both of these sections.  Also one of the shelfs is broken.  Love the piece however.

the wood is sweet gum or tulip poplar or both.

there is nothing else to tell you about he piece other than it was manufactured in a factory in the 20s-40s.  where will remain a mystery since here were so any factories in operation, about 5000 at the time.

when i refinish or restore these i remove the back carefully, strip the piece with paint remover, gently sand, very gently. stain with a dye stain or pigmented stain then spray multiple coats of lacquer or shellac rubbing between coats.

if you tell me what you know about finishing we can continue this conversation by email if you like.

i will need to know your experience, knowledge and skills in refinishing before i would know how to guide you but will be happy to do so.

the beading that is missing can be bought.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971