Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Calipers?

Question
Stanley calipers 1
Stanley calipers 1  

Stanley calipers 2
Stanley calipers 2  
I was hoping your husband might have a suggestion. I was cleaning out my Mothers toolbox (she passed away several years ago) and I found these calipers (I think that is what they are) at the bottom. I believe that they belonged to my Grandfather. As you may be able to see they have some sort of gunk on the bottom of them. It is all over the toolbox and I believe it is some sort of oil or lubricant, it is sort of sticky/gummy at this point. (There was no container) I am not sure how to start cleaning them since they are part wood, part metal. I also can't tell if it is brass or just brass colored. I realize it is small, but my Grandpa took good care of his tools and I would like to at least try to clean this up without damaging it further. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you

Answer
You can start with silver polish, this is a non-abrassive polish and will remove most of the gunk.  Just apply this to a moist cloth and rub.  This will not damage your wood, but do not submerge wood in water.  You may go an extra step if needed and use fine steel wool and baking soda mixed with water to make a paste.  If there is a finish it will remove it. You will then need to relaquer.  I hope this helps.  These methods are gentle but effective.
Best of luck, let me know how it turns out!--
Rick
Artifacts of America
New Philadelphia, Ohio

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Artifacts of America- Brandi Barkheimer