Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cigar Store Indian

Cigar Store Indian
Cigar Store Indian  
QUESTION: This Cigar Store Indian was part of a collection of a relative who left no will.  I would like to own it in remembrance.  I would like to know what to price I could expect to pay at auction.  I do believe that it is an old, original.

ANSWER: There have been many cigar store Indians created in the last 40 years.
It is very hard to tell if one is old (turn of the century) from a photo.
My GUESS is that this is not that old. The paint in the photo looks too
uniform to be old. It reminds me of other reproduction items that come
from overseas. If you believe it to be old, don't pay too much for it,
only to find out later that probably it isn't old. Sorry that I can't
give you a more definitive answer. Regards,  Gumgod

QUESTION: How much would be too much to pay? Thank you for your assistance!

Hi Tracy,
I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to answer your question as to how much you should pay for the cigar store Indian. I never received your follow up question until stumbling upon it this evening. Because I fear that it is probably a reproduction, I wouldn't feel comfortable
paying over $250 to $300 for it. If it can be proven to be an old, original cigar store
Indian it could be worth 10 times more than a reproduction. Be sure to get a proven provenance
before you pay a premium. Good luck. Gumgod

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Jack Freund

I have 35 years experience in the coin op field, specializing in old gumball and peanut machines. Also trade stimulators, especially turn of the century cigar store machines, both cast iron and wooden machines.

I have owned over 3000 coin operated machines. Much knowledge comes from experience as there is not a lot of documented information on many coin operated machines. Experience is the teacher.

Coin Operated Collector's Association

I host a column in the C.O.C.A. Times, (the magazine for members of the Coin Operated Collector's Association). The column is titled "Tales Of The Hunt" and features stories and comments about member's great (and sometimes not so great) finds.

I have been a dealer at the Chicagoland Slot Machine and Coin Op show since it started. Look for me in Booth F-09. Stop by with your questions or photos. I'll try to help you or buy your machine if you prefer.