Collectibles-General (Antiques)/coverlet

pink coverlet
pink coverlet  

pink coverlet
pink coverlet  
I found this woven coverlet. I would like to know when this pink color was used and what the pattern is called.
The warp is cotton and the weft is a heavy wool yarn. It would fit a double bed.
What is the best way to clean this item.
Is there value in this quilt?
Thank you for your time.

This is called an "Overshot Coverlet"

Most of these were made starting in the 1830's and going through the 1880 and perhaps longer.

I can't tell from your pictures just how old you's is and I really don't know when the pink was used but my guess is the 1870's. Value is around $150-$200 if MINT.

As for cleaning, it depends on what kind of dirt you're dealing with.

If you have oily dirt or stains, the dry cleaner is your best bet.  Find a good one that is used to cleaning antique items.

If the coverlet is just soiled from age and neglet I'd suggest washing it in cold walter with a gentle detergent or Woolite.  Yoy can use a wash machine but fill the machine up with water and the detergent before adding the coverlet.  Use the "Gentle Cycle" and only agitate long enough for it to get wet and then sust soak it for an hour of more.  Menwhile you can ad\gitate it by hand.
Then run the rinse cycle anf lay out flat to dry.  I usually add white venigar as a softener, NOT a regular fabric softener.

Good Luck  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

I am considered by many to be an expert on AMERICAN ANTIQUE QUILTS. My real expertise lies with ANTIQUE OHIO AMISH QUILTS. In 2006 the book, "ANTIQUE OHIO AMISH QUILTS, THE DARWIN D. BEARLEY COLLECTION" was published by Bernina Sewing Machine Co. of Zurich Switzerland. I can help with all aspects of identification, dating, repair and cleaning. I also buy, and broker antique quilts.

Over the past 30 odd years, I have bought and sold Antique Quilts for a living. I also have a personal collection of Antique Ohio Amish Quilts. I have sold to the Smithsonian, the LA County Museum of Art, the movie "What Lies Beneath" starring Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer and to Catherine Denuuve. My Antique Ohio Amish Quilt Collection has been exhibited at The Museum of Our American Heritage, The Akron Art Institute, The Canton Art Museum, Wright State University and The Quilt National in Cincinnati, Ohio. They have also been exhibited in Germany and France and recently at the Quilt Expo in Houston, Texas. Many of the quilts have been published in various books, magazines and calendars. One was even pictured in National Geographic Magazine. Recently a book on my collection was published by Bernina Sewing Machine Co. of Zurich entitled, "Antique Ohio Amish Quilts, The Darwin D. Bearley Collection"

Antique Ohio Amish Quilts, the Darwin D. Bearley