Collectibles-General (Antiques)/desk/vanity

Landstrom desk
Landstrom desk  

Landstrom desk 2
Landstrom desk 2  
Hi Fred,
I found the desk in a thrift store It has the Landstrom mark in the middle drawer. I did a quick research found nothing like this one. This is more like a primitive, natural looking (or newer perhaps) Landstrom furniture different than the ones that are fancy, in veneered darker tones. I want to refinish it and I would be very happy to hear more about this one.

Cigdem M. - Actually your desk used to be one of those darker tone pieces. It is from the Depression era of the 1930s veneered in walnut. The central drawer is walnut burl veneer. The doors appear to be striped walnut veneer. The entire piece has been stripped and bleached of its natural walnut color.

You have a blank palette to work with. Do a good job and you will have a treasure. Since it has no antique value anything you do will improve it.

Good luck.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida