Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Dining room set

Question
Table top
Table top  

Table side
Table side  
Hello,

I found the following Flint and Horner set during a clean up at a relatives home.

It includes the table that measures 54 inches in diameter and also take an additional 5 leaves that I also have.

There are 10 chairs (2 with arms and 8 without), 1 side board, and one buffet.

I was wanting to know the approximate age, as well as the value of the pieces.  Also what "type" of furniture is this or at least what is the the genie lamp design?

Thanks,
Shannon

Answer
Shannon - Great looking set. It was made in the early 20th century, 1915-1920. Flint & Horner was a retailer of furniture set up by the family of George C. Flint after his cabinet shop closed in the early 20th century. The company lasted until the middle of the Depression. Since F&H was a retailer there is no way to know who made your set unless there is another mark somewhere.

The set is a Colonial Revival reproduction of furniture of the Federal era of the early 1800s. The chairs are patterned after designs of Thomas Sheraton. Sheraton was an English designer whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. The oval patterns on the table base and the top of the chair legs are called "patera" and were an important part of Federal design.
http://www.antiques-bible.com/patera/  

The "genie" lamp is part of the Neoclassical furniture design of the period. It used elements of Greek architecture and design. The elaborate decoration of the pieces falls in line with the Adam brothers concepts of architecture and design. Here is more about that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_style

You have the table, chairs, sideboard and a server, the smaller piece with open bottom.

The set is made of mahogany and birch and would be breathtaking if refinished. The original finish was shellac and it has darkened significantly with age as it oxidized. You will lose no antique value if the set is refinished. The rule of thumb in most 20th century furniture is that well done repair, refinish and restoration will improve both the appearance and current market value.  

In its current condition the set would sell at auction in the $500 range. In professionally restored condition it would be worth several times that.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor