Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Estimated value on rocking chair

Question
Rocking chair
Rocking chair  
Hi Fred!

I acquire this rocking chair from family, I know it was from at the very least my great grandmother and could be older.  I honestly don't have room for it and I'm I trying to figure out if its worth me finding a place for it or not.  It's not in the most perfect shape, but if it does hold any value I would like to know.  Thank you for your help!

Answer
Emily - Your chair is called a Baby Boston rocker. The Boston rocker was introduced in 1835 in New England but actually has no original ties to Boston. It became one of the most popular style chairs and one of the most produced chairs of the entire 19th century. They are not rare or unusual and condition is a major consideration in the value. The most recognizable feature of the Boston rocker is the rolled seat in the front and rear. Your chair is indeed a Boston rocker but a slightly smaller version known as a "baby" Boston or "little" Boston because of its smaller size and lack of arms.

Most black stenciled Bostons, no matter the age, sell at auction in the $25-$50 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor