Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Gossip Bench-Age?

Lexington Chair Co 1
Lexington Chair Co 1  

Lexington Chair Co 2
Lexington Chair Co 2  
I purchased this gossip bench made by the lexington chair company and was wondering it's approximate age.  It has what appears to be a date on the bottom:  22-2 Mar. and says Cathy.Wine.  It was made by the Lexington Chair Company.

could be a date or could be an inventory number or style number.
MAR could be MAH as it is a dyed mahogany color and the cathy wine could have referred to the original fabric of the seat.  is there a delivery date on the tag.

thing is that we associate this with the late 30s to early 1940s.  a copy of the federal style adapted to the modern day.

I think it is a 1940s piece.  Reason is the nature, style, type of construction and form.  All I have worked on have been in this style and were from the 40s.  remember that it was after WW2 that home phones became numerous enough for furniture manufacturers to begin making phone furniture a profitable endeavor.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971