Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Gunn Bookcase

Hi. I purchased this bookcase at an estate sale in Oklahoma this past weekend. I didn't see the "Gunn Bookcase" label on the inside until today. The label reads:

Gunn Bookcase
___ Unit Size ___
Wood "WAL" Finish "2"
Style# 215-P
The Gunn Furniture Co.
Grand Rapids, Mich.

My intention was to drill a hole in the back to put my cable box inside and the wires out the back, but I hesitated once I saw the label. I researched as much as I knew how online, but was only able to find information for Gunn sectional bookcases. Do you know whether or not this piece of furniture is valuable and, if so, the value and whether or not I would be an idiot to drill a hole in the back? Thank you for your time.

This is a later Gunn bookcase, probably in the late 40s up to 53.

I would not put a hole in the back but if you will put one in the bottom in a back corner, do it right with a wire grommet to route the wires.

This way you minimize the alteration effect.

In a retail setting this case would sell at 450-500.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971