Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Gunn Bookcase

Question
Gunn1
Gunn1  

Gunn2
Gunn2  
Hi. I purchased this bookcase at an estate sale in Oklahoma this past weekend. I didn't see the "Gunn Bookcase" label on the inside until today. The label reads:

Gunn Bookcase
___ Unit Size ___
Wood "WAL" Finish "2"
Style# 215-P
The Gunn Furniture Co.
Grand Rapids, Mich.

My intention was to drill a hole in the back to put my cable box inside and the wires out the back, but I hesitated once I saw the label. I researched as much as I knew how online, but was only able to find information for Gunn sectional bookcases. Do you know whether or not this piece of furniture is valuable and, if so, the value and whether or not I would be an idiot to drill a hole in the back? Thank you for your time.

-Erin

Answer
This is a later Gunn bookcase, probably in the late 40s up to 53.

I would not put a hole in the back but if you will put one in the bottom in a back corner, do it right with a wire grommet to route the wires.

This way you minimize the alteration effect.

In a retail setting this case would sell at 450-500.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein