Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Heywood Wakefield Dining Set

Question
Logo
Logo  

H/W dining set
H/W dining set  
Hello,

This Heywood Wakefield dining set was owned by relatives and is from the 1940's.  It has the original vinyl (?) on the seats and has been gently stripped but not refinished.

Can you give me a specific style/date?  Kind of wood?  Finish?  Approximate value? Best place to sell?  What kind of shipping works best?

Thank you!!

Catherine

Answer
the stamp on your furniture was registered in 1948.  although i dont quite understand 'light stripping' i am sure you know that the colors used by HW are difficult to match, not difficult to get close but they are tough to all finishers.  one of the things that makes it tough is that colors change over time so refinishing and putting the original or close to original color takes away from what the years do to the patina.

prices are all over the scale for mid century HW furniture.  One place you might get $500 and another $1500 so you will have to figure what you want to do.

Opening up the market across the USA will cost more as you will have to use an online marketing source or have someone you know with a rubylane shop put it in their store for you--online.  

shipping can be handled in many ways.  what i do is use a local moving and storage company that will do small load residential delivery.  that way they pick it up from you, pack it up, ship it, deliver in home to the recipient and haul off all packing materials.  figure it could cost about $500 to ship across country if it is on a normal route.  going to bills hill or possum gap population 65 would cost more than outside Atlanta or Charlotte.  

if you get someone in southern California where mid century is huge the price could go up to $2000, maybe, you have to check the markets there by doing online research.  i just dont have the time available to do that as it would take several hours.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein