Collectibles-General (Antiques)/LIFETIME FURNITURE

Canterbury 4195
Canterbury 4195  

Canterbury 4195
Canterbury 4195  
I was at my local St.Vincent DePaul thrift store and ran into a Cabinet that I purchased for $70.00.   The original was stripped and finished in a Blonde/Natural Wood look but the inside was Original Dark Walnut Color.  After Tons of stripping and sanding, I have it pretty much back to the Original Look.
On the back of the cabinet was the original Label: LIFETIME FURNITURE...#4195...CANTERBURY.
All I know is that it came from a Maker in Grand Rapids, a bookcase/cabinet factory?
Thank you so much, I look forward to hearing from you...
no plans to sell as it looks Marvie in my Livingroom.

Carol - "Lifetime" was a trade name used by the Grand Rapids Bookcase and Chair Co for its line of Mission style oak furniture introduced in 1911. When the demand for Mission style began to fall off around the first World War the company kept the successful trade name and applied it to other product lines in the 1920s and 1930s when it produced a line of heavily carved English and European revival styles.

Your cabinet is based on an English court cupboard used to store silver  and linen.

Lifetime Mission style products are still highly valued in today's market but the later heavily carved revival styles are less so. Here is a Lifetime cabinet similar to yours that sold at auction for $125.

Your restored cabinet, made in the 1930s, would probably sell in the $200-$300 range. I have written a column about Lifetime as part of my syndicated series "Common Sense Antiques". I will be happy to share it with you. Email me at

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida