Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Muscoda desk

Question
Muscoda writing desk
Muscoda writing desk  
Would you please be able to tell me anything about this desk which bears the label Muscoda Mfg and the words Quality Tables on the underside of the desk drawer.  I will attach a photograph.  Thank you.

John Gross

Answer
John - Your desk is called a spinet desk desk based on the size and shape. In the 18th and 19th century when a spinet piano was worn out it was sometimes converted to a desk.

The spinet desk made a comeback during the Depression era of the late 1920s and 1930s because it was small and inexpensive to manufacture. Muscoda was located in Muscoda, Wis.

A similar desk is shown on page 104 of "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Schiffer Publishing.

Here is a similar desk that sold at auction in March 2013 for $175. The auctioneer's label says it is pine but that is incorrect. It is made of a secondary hardwood called red gum.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/16442200_pine-spinet-desk

Your desk seems to have some condition issues with the finish so it might not sell for quite so much.  

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor