Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Nichols and Stone chairs

Question
chair
chair  

bottum
bottum  
I purchased these chairs at a local thrift store for 3.00 a piece. They have a Nichols and Stone stamp under the seat along with another stamp that says california furniture shop ltd pilgrim finish. I'm not sure how to tell if they are authentic, how much they are worth, and when they were made.

Answer
Hnub - Your chairs are authentic Nichols & Stone chairs. The manufacturer is one of the country’s oldest makers, http://www.nicholsandstone.com/OurStory.cfm. The chair is a Colonial Revival reproduction of an 18th century Windsor chair. A Windsor chair is a chair in which no vertical element runs continuously from top to bottom. All vertical elements terminate in the seat.

Your chairs are made of birch and were made in the 1970s. N&S chairs like this sell at auction in the $50 range in good condition.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor