Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Nichols and Stone chairs

I purchased these chairs at a local thrift store for 3.00 a piece. They have a Nichols and Stone stamp under the seat along with another stamp that says california furniture shop ltd pilgrim finish. I'm not sure how to tell if they are authentic, how much they are worth, and when they were made.

Hnub - Your chairs are authentic Nichols & Stone chairs. The manufacturer is one of the country’s oldest makers, The chair is a Colonial Revival reproduction of an 18th century Windsor chair. A Windsor chair is a chair in which no vertical element runs continuously from top to bottom. All vertical elements terminate in the seat.

Your chairs are made of birch and were made in the 1970s. N&S chairs like this sell at auction in the $50 range in good condition.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida