Collectibles-General (Antiques)/old galvanized trunk

Question
old trunk
old trunk  

old trunk
old trunk  
i came across this old trunk and cannot find any info on it. the inside is all galvanized. its flat and pretty long. it says usa on the back side and the initials A.J. on the front. can u help me figure out a possible maker or date it?

Answer
Hi Anne,

I have studied, restored, and collected trunks for about 40 years now, and based on that background I can say that this is not a trunk manufactured by a trunk company as a commercially available product. This is almost definitely a handmade, homemade trunk by an individual and because of the size and materials it was probably made as a type of tool trunk. Several trunk companies did make tool trunks and some are shown in old catalogs I have.  But they did not use this type of hardware, locks, and covering as yours has.  I would say the initials are of the original owner and possibly the maker of the chest. It appears that it originally had some type of inner tray because of the small holders in the inside corners.  It's very hard to determine the age of this type item because the materials and hardware have been available from around 1900, but it could have been made quite a bit later.  Unless you had some history from the owner you will probably never know the details of this item.  I wish I could help you more but that all I can really tell you about it.  

Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller