Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Refinished trunk

Question
Trunk
Trunk  

trunk
trunk  
Hi Marvin,
Just adding the photos of the trunk I posted on 25 May after a clean up. I couldn't attach more images to my original post. All paint and lacquer was removed from the wood and metal. Metal being resprayed and the wood coated with tung oil. The embossed metal was painted a dark green and then sanded to expose the raised embossing. The slat clamps were also sanded lightly after painting to give a 2 tone effect on the raised parts. The interior was stripped and recoated in white paper and new lids made from a thick compressed cardboard. Some of the original lithographs were able to be salvaged enough to be used as masters for copies. Hope you enjoy and thanks again for your time.

Answer
Steve,

That's a beautiful restoration job you've done and a great looking trunk.  The trunk is an interesting one and like I mentioned, the design of it is a little unusual.  The interior looks great and I see that you used the replica trim pieces that are available.  That is very close to how the trunk would have been done when new.  The two tone embossed metal is also original looking. I always like the design in the embossed metal to show up well like that. I've also done this several times and a few different ways including painting the design.  One question I have for you is when you sanded the raised design on the metal, did you go back and coat it with something.  If not it would leave it unprotected and could possibly rust over time.  

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  You can also email any pictures you want to Marvin@ThisOldTrunk.com

Thanks,
Marvin  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller