Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Refinished trunk

Hi Marvin,
Just adding the photos of the trunk I posted on 25 May after a clean up. I couldn't attach more images to my original post. All paint and lacquer was removed from the wood and metal. Metal being resprayed and the wood coated with tung oil. The embossed metal was painted a dark green and then sanded to expose the raised embossing. The slat clamps were also sanded lightly after painting to give a 2 tone effect on the raised parts. The interior was stripped and recoated in white paper and new lids made from a thick compressed cardboard. Some of the original lithographs were able to be salvaged enough to be used as masters for copies. Hope you enjoy and thanks again for your time.

That's a beautiful restoration job you've done and a great looking trunk.  The trunk is an interesting one and like I mentioned, the design of it is a little unusual.  The interior looks great and I see that you used the replica trim pieces that are available.  That is very close to how the trunk would have been done when new.  The two tone embossed metal is also original looking. I always like the design in the embossed metal to show up well like that. I've also done this several times and a few different ways including painting the design.  One question I have for you is when you sanded the raised design on the metal, did you go back and coat it with something.  If not it would leave it unprotected and could possibly rust over time.  

Thanks for sharing the pictures.  You can also email any pictures you want to

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.