Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Sligh Lowry Desk

Question
Desk
Desk  
Hello, I have this desk I purchased approx 8 years ago at a estate sale for 50.00 and would like more information on it as far when it was made. Most part of the desk is in decent shape except the top is scratched up. It has dovetail drawers and all the drawers open and close with ease and I'm pretty sure it has the original hardware.
There is a stamp on the inside of the top middle drawer that reads Sligh- Lowry
Holland, Michigan
I could not find no history when the company started making desks so I assume its a later model judging buy it's fairly good condition except the top scratches
I am looking to sell the desk and would like to be able to give a good description about it

Answer
Kristine - The company began in 1880 as the Sligh Furniture Co. It closed in 1932 and a new company, Charles R. Sligh Co, was formed with the remaining assets. Charles R. Sligh changed its name to Sligh-Lowry in 1940. The name was changed again in 1968 back to Sligh Furniture Co.

In 1953 a new subsidiary was formed, the Sligh-Lowry Contract Furniture Co. It was the largest maker of college dormitory furniture in the country from 1954 to 1974. It also made contract furniture for hotels, motels and nursing homes.

Your desk appears to be from the contract line of the early 1970s. The desk would sell at auction in the $200-$300 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor