Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Small Antique Tilt Top Table

Table Top Tilted
Table Top Tilted  
Hello Fred, I bought this little tilt top table at a garage sale. I think that the table is from the 1800s - 1900s. The height is 1' 10", the width is approximately 1' 2", and the length is 1' 7". The top of the table tilts as shown in the picture. I was told that it was the seller's aunt's and that it's was very old. I would like to know as much as you can tell me (value, age, popularity, collectability, etc.).

Taylor - From these photos and the one you sent to my e mail I can tell you the table is from the Depression era of the 1930s. It is made of mostly secondary woods with assorted veneers on the top. It falls in the category of "Novelty" furniture.

During the Depression of the 1930s many companies turned to the manufacture of small items to have something affordable to sell that people could afford to buy rather than entire sets of furniture. These items were called "novelties" and included things like magazine racks, hanging shelves, magazine and lamp tables and smoking stands. You can see a number of novelty items in the book "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books. An end table with similar veneer on the top is shown on page 37 of the book.

Novelty items are quite numerous and have little collector's interest. Your table would sell at auction in the $25 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida