Collectibles-General (Antiques)/wardrobe trunk

Judd\'s trunk
Judd's trunk  
Mr. Miller, I recently acquired an old wardrobe trunk with the label Judd's Luggage N.Y.C.  (photo of label attached) Although my wife & I have been searching the internet, we can't seem to find any information about this company.  Can you tell us anything?

Newspaper Trunk Ad
Newspaper Trunk Ad  

Thanks for adding the pictures. I've studied and saved names of trunk companies for almost thirty years now but I still get information about more trunk makers and trunk retailers nearly every week. I have not seen the label for Judd's guaranteed luggage before, but there is also a pretty good chance that this was not the manufacturer but a retail luggage store. Most manufacturer labels did list that they were the trunk manufacturer.  There were many companies that made this style wardrobe trunk and it appears likely that it is from the 1930's or 1940's when many were made.  But quite a few trunk makers sold their trunks wholesale, without labels, to luggage and even furniture stores that sold trunks during that time. I've seen many examples of retail stores putting their own label on the trunks they sold which were made by various trunk makers. Even Saks, Macy's, Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery Ward, Fields, and many other retailers did this. Also, there is very little information available online about many of the trunk makers. I done extensive research on trunk makers and have nearly three hundred different companies listed so far.  On some I have a good historical summary but with many I have very little information or just the name and location.  Sometimes you can find a little information by checking business directories but even those are limited in availability online and usually just give names and addresses. I've also written a summary about the wardrobe trunks which is listed on the Showcase page of my website under Wardrobe Trunk History which you might find helpful.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.