Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Wicker Buggy

Wicker Buggy
Wicker Buggy  

Wicker Buggy
Wicker Buggy  
I have the attached wicker buggy that I would like to restore and I'm not sure where to start. The original color of the wicker was blue but it's pretty weathered in some areas and has no paint at all. I would like to repaint and need to know how to go about removing the old paint. Also, do you spray paint or use a paint brush and what kind of paint to you use? I would need the know the same for the metal. The original padding on the push handle is gone and seems to be replaced with just tape. Do you know where I can find a replacement. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Hi Wendy,

What you have there is a very lovely Lloyd Loom baby buggy from about the 1925s-1930s with what does look to be the original blue paint finish.

However, since the woven material is made of paper fibre, it's not a good idea to try and strip the paint off. Instead you can carefully use a spray primer and spray paint to touch up the faded areas only. Of course, there will be other parts you'd like to paint too and that's just fine, but pay special attention to the faded areas.

Go to a reputable paint store and get an exact color match and if you can, take the body of the buggy off the metal frame to paint. If there is any flaking paint, which it doesn't look like there is, then be sure to gently scrape it off with a soft bristle brass brush or use sand paper.

Get some metal paint and paint the frame and wheel spokes. You will need to tape off the rubber and the hubcaps, unless the hubcaps can be taken off.

And most likely the original handle was made of wood, hand turned, not padding of some sort. You can contact a woodturner and have one custom made to fit.

Please take a look at the Articles page of my website as well as the Wicker FAQ and the National Furniture Repair Directory there in the Refinishing section to possibly locate a woodturner to make the handle.

Hope this helps! Check out all the links below in my signature file and good luck on your project!  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker WomanŽ-Cathryn Peters

I will answer any questions having to do with antique wicker furniture, wicker furniture repair and restoration, chair caning and all other types of chair seat weaving techniques and patterns. I DO NOT GIVE APPRAISALS or free WHAT IT'S WORTH valuations, nor do I buy/sell wicker furniture at this time.

Since 1975 I've been repairing and restoring all types of wicker furniture from the 1880s-1940s, with a special interest in the Victorian era. I'm proficient in the repair and restoration of all types of chair seat weaving; hand-twisted cattail and bulrush, paper fiber rush, chair caning of all types, Shaker tape, Danish cord and seagrass. I also teach chair seat weaving at folk schools, basketry conventions and private individuals or groups. I also offer consultations, and will demonstrate and lecture on the craft topics of chair seating, wicker repair and basketry. I am also web master of, online since 1999 and founder and moderator of the Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum since 2004.

Founding member and first President of The SeatWeavers' Guild, Inc. (TSWG 2007-2011), Seatweaving & Chair Caning Forum founder and moderator (2004-present), charter member of the National Basketry Organization, numerous regional and state basket guilds, and member of the Basketmakers' and Chair Seaters' Association (BA) located in the United Kingdom.

Woman's Day Budget Decorating Ideas 2006, Country Living August 2004, Finishing & Restoration Magazine, October 2002, Barbara Brabec's Handmade For Profit, Homemade Money-Starting Smart! and Homemade Money-Bringing in the Bucks!, Collector's Journal, Basketry Round-Up #2 by Shereen LaPlantz, Splint Woven Basketry by Robin Taylor Daugherty, 101 Best Home-Based Businesses for Women by Priscilla Y. Huff, Ralph & Terry Kovel's Yellow Pages of Restoration Experts, Small Town Minnesota from A-Z by Tony Andersen and monthly Wicker Furniture columnist for Minnesota's The Old Times newspaper in 1993 & 1994.

High school graduate, self-taught, and "school of hard knocks" for all the rest!

I've been involved in several unique wicker restoration projects such as weaving two wicker chairs for the Johnson Wax Replica Sikorsky S-38 Amphibian Airplane in 1998, then two more in 2000 for Buzz Kaplan, owner of Born Again Restorations, the company that created the replica Sikorsky, and did the restoration of all the wicker furniture in the Itasca State Park, Bemidji, MN during their Centennial celebration in 1995. I've also served as Chair Seatweaving Mentor to an apprentice through the Minnesota State Arts Board Folk Art Grant program in 2000, been the recipient of a McKnight/Arrowhead Regional Arts Council (ARAC) Career Opportunity Grant in 2004, and the recipient of a McKnight/ARAC Emerging Artist Fellowship in 2005.