Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique murphy bed

QUESTION: Dear sir:

Re: Expert: robert klein - 1/17/2009

A while back you reviewed and valued and antique murphy bed -

I would love to buy a fully functioning one like this. Where can I find one and how much can I expect to pay (southwest market).

Thank you,

ANSWER: jay, where in Republic of Texas are you located.

this one is between waco and austin.

i dont know the shop but have looked at their pictures before.

keep in mind there are several styles.  ones like above and ones that look like desks when closed.

i too would like to find a good one.

QUESTION: I am in the Dallas Fort worth area... Salado is not too far.
Is there any historical information they may help me recreate the mattress and/or any other things that may be necessary to restore?

you will have to do research on the mattress.  there are some made today that work, it all depends on the size, they are not all the same.  goose down is considered best and that is what i would do.  should be a woven mesh (like chain mail) mattress support in many. others fold out into a wood platform.  lots of options.  research.....

as to restoration all i can tell you is to look at as many as possible and do not get in a hurry.  they are all made different, look carefully, open and close them, if they are right they will work smoothly, if they do not then you know there is some repair to do.

if an oak one came in here that needed restoration--nothing broken just loose and in need of refinish as well, figure spending 2500 minimum on that part.  point being, do not settle for a low priced one that i in need of lots of work.  it will cost more in the end.  but, if the seller did not do the restoration thoroughly and only made it look pretty--run away and keep looking.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971