Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique rocking chair

antique rocking chair
antique rocking chair  

back of the cjair
back of the cjair  
I have, what I believe is a Lakeside low Victorian rocking chair.
I purchased out of a used furniture shop, for very cheap ($50.00)
The frame however was falling apart. My husband (a handyman)has put new pins and glue, and rebuild a small crack on the wood of one of the arms and re-stained to match. The frame now looks pretty good.the fabric also looks very nice except the trim around it. it's very dirty, and I'm not sure if I should have it reupholstered , or should I change just the trim, or should I have just dry cleaned.
Does it have any real value? I plan on using it as it's the most comfortable chair I ever sat in, but I would like to keep in as pristine condition as possible. When was these platform rocker built? it has to small wheel on the front, and no name that I can see. Are they considered of value?  Thank you for your help . Celia

Your eastlake platform rocker looks great and was made around 1880.  the trim around the back and seat is called gimp, it is either glued or stapled or nailed on and will come off fairly easily if you want to change it as it can be bought in rolls and looks exactly like what is there.  these days it is put on with staples or hot melt glue.

i keep one of these at home, they are indeed comfy.

retail in a shop about 550-650 as it sits.  ones that need work in shops are about 200.

usually only wheels on the front, i removed the ones on mine.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971